Monday, August 27, 2012

Towel Rack 1, Christine 0

Pain is very often associated with MS. So far, I've been fortunate not to experience the debilitating pain that many suffer with. Let me clarify. I haven't experienced a lot of pain in direct relation to MS. In relation to my recent increased clumsiness, I've taken pain to a new level.

Last night, as usual, just before crawling into bed I paid a quick visit to the washroom. Somehow I lost my footing and ended up doing a face plant into the towel rack. I didn't just hit the towel rod, I smashed into the corner of the rack. The orbital bone above my left eye took the full impact. After the tears and swearing I finally lifted my hands from my face fully expecting to see blood or remnants of my eyeball. Pleasantly surprised at the lack of carnage, but still writhing in pain, I groped my way to the kitchen for an ice cube and some Advil.

Oh my goodness, the pain was so bad that I couldn't see straight. So, after holding the ice to my eye for a few minutes and with the Advil happily dissolving in my system, I crawled into bed.

My face was only throbbing a little when I went to bed. By 1:00 am it was throbbing a lot. Didn't it know that sleep is critical in coping with MS? Didn't it know that I had to get up at 5:30 am to give Andy his bottle? Didn't it know that... throb throb throb... No, it was neither aware nor did it care if I was in agony.

After a very restless sleep I awoke at 5:30 am. Shockingly, my eye wasn't black and blue, as I had expected, just a little swollen. Extremely tender, but not noticeably damaged. I'm sure nobody at the office will even notice that my eyelid is uber-puffy. Aside from the continuing pain and tenderness I think I've come out of my fight with the towel rack relatively unscathed.

2 comments: