Thursday, September 6, 2012

It Hurts To Tell...

How do you tell your baby that you're sick? Very sick.

Last week, on a quiet afternoon, I sat beside Daniel while he was reading on his bed. It seemed like a nice time to talk. He has been such a strong, supportive boy through my struggles this summer. From helping to guide me when I could barely see, to carrying things now that my left arm is weak. He's been my rock. I love him so much.

So, my conversation started there. Telling him how much I've appreciated his thoughtfulness, his help, his support. Then I asked him if he knew what was happening with me? He said he thought I've been sick. "Yes, there's a name for the disease I have. It's called Multiple Sclerosis." I almost broke down in tears, but I managed to hold them back. He doesn't know how scary this disease is or can be and I don't want to frighten him.

I curled up beside him on the bed. "Do you have any questions?"

"Is it called MS?" - yes

"Will you get better?" - yes, my vision is much better and I'm hopeful that my arm will feel better in a few weeks. But something else will happen to me as time goes on. Together we'll deal with it when the time comes.

"Can I enter the read-a-thon?" -what read-a-thon?

"Chick a Dee has a page about an MS read-a-thon to raise money. It's right here... look..." - let's check into it. I'm so proud of you for wanting to take action. Big hug.


2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. He really is a special child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sent an email to the MS Society of Canada asking them how he can participate. We'll see how it goes...

    I'm so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete