Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Injection #1 - Done

Finally, I'm on medication for holding off the next relapse.

Nurse Delvin spent about an hour with me to show me exactly how to take care of my own injections. Luckily, almost anything that could go wrong, did. Now I know not to panic when things do go awry - I know exactly what to do. The needle didn't eject properly (required dislodging with tweezers) and the medication appeared as a droplet above my skin at the injection site (required a quick wipe with the alcohol pad and applying pressure).

Thank goodness the actual injection didn't hurt. I was amazed. Of course I was expecting it to be quite nasty, but in all honesty, I hardly felt it. The injection site was a bit tender a few minutes later, but that was taken care of with a cold compress.

Also, it will take a little while to ramp up to the full dosage. For the first two weeks I'll be receiving a 25% dose at each injection, followed by two weeks at 50%. Afterwards I'll be receiving the full dosage, by which time I should be used to the medication.

1 comment: