Thursday, December 6, 2012

First Copaxone Injection Done


The training session with nurse Janine was a success. We reviewed, in great detail, how to administer, store and travel with the medication. Of course we also reviewed how to dispose of the used paraphernalia and syringes - after clipping off the needle first.
Let me introduce my new friend aj.

We practiced injections using a practice injection pad prior to administering the real deal. Janine gave me the choice: manual or auto-injector (aj for short). Not feeling particularly brave, I chose aj. I was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of aj. So easy: prepare aj, locate injection site, clean site, hold aj at a 90 degree angle, press gently until aj is ready, then click on the trigger. “It will feel like a bee sting” she said. Count to ten, remove needle, apply cotton ball. Count to ten. Done. Bee sting? Nope, hardly felt the injection at all.

A few seconds later the fun began. By fun I mean, burning and stinging sensations, lasting 10 minutes or so, followed by site tenderness and redness. Janine told me that the location I chose is actually the most difficult and usually has the worst immediate reactions. Good. I always like to get the worst case scenarios over and done with quickly.

Now, even though the pain has passed, I have a funny taste lingering in my mouth. It’s definitely not the stale coffee taste that I had prior to the injection. I don’t want to say it is a buttery taste, but it’s not metallic, fruity, salty or bitter either. Just different.

When we reviewed the manual method, it really didn’t look too difficult. I think I could manage it if I had to. The main benefit would be that I could insert the needle at a 45 degree angle and reduce the chance, especially in the arm area, of hitting muscle. In time, depending on how things go, I may find that I’ll use aj for the buttocks, thighs and abdomen and use the manual method for the arms.

I’m feeling much more positive about the whole process now. I can handle this. I think I could even easily hand aj off to someone else to perform my injection for me. It’s so unobtrusive, I don’t think it would creep them out at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment